Monday, July 11, 2005

Clean Lines

Something a little lighter:

I have a deep love for art with clean lines. I have an abiding fondness for Japanese art, which is similar to Chinese art but without all the kruft.

However, I've never really been able to do 'clean lines' on my own. I think this is largely because I've been working with pen and pencil. Without the capability to do ink fill or brush strokes, I have a hard time getting the contrast such a style needs.

Here is an example of the kind of clean art I mean. It's not as good as some of the wicked, sharp art I've seen (in fact, some of it is pretty marginal), but it's obtainable, which means I can learn from it. You'll want portfolio part two, because the first part is filled with modern crap and disturbed children's cartoons. Part two has people.

Some of my favorites: #3, #8, #9, #14, #18, #19, and ESPECIALLY #16 & #17. No links, because it's a Flash page.

A clever person will notice these images all play with high and low contrast. I actually wrote an essay about using contrast a few months ago. I don't think it ever made it to the blog. The short version is: I need to practice with something besides line art. I need to start working with contrast.

If I get around to it, you'll see it here. Keep yer eyes open and yer monitors on.

No comments: