Thursday, June 09, 2005

Bubba Ho-Tep

I saw Bubba Ho-Tep a few days ago - I bought it for myself for my birthday. I'm a moderate Bruce Campbell fan and a moderate Ossie Davis fan, so it was like mixing peanut butter with chocolate. Or, at least, a nut with chocolate. :)

In case you haven't seen it, the movie is a redemptive Elvis mummy movie. It's... bizarre. The first third of the movie is excruciatingly slow, and the rest is quite good, in my opinion. Which is an opinion that likes Bruce Campbell movies, so take that for what it is worth.

But the first and most important thing that struck me while watching this movie was the music. Such music!

Most of the time, when I hear an excellent soundtrack, it is a soundtrack which is overwhelming the movie. The poor movie doesn't stand a chance - the soundtrack dominates and destroys the movie. In this case, I was surprised because the soundtrack did no such thing - which is difficult and rare.

Curious, I looked up the guy responsible. His name is Brian Tyler. You probably don't remember him, but he did Six String Samurai. Whose soundtrack I own and I was very impressed by. In honesty, I actually like Bubba Ho-Tep's sound better than Six String's.

So, I looked up other things that Brian Tyler did. Including about a zillion tiny TV shows and movies, he's done music for "The Fast and the Furious", "John Carpenter's Vampires", "Children of Dune", and "Constantine". I have listened to a selection of these and have not really been impressed.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for lonely guitar music or something. Who can tell me what they thought of these soundtracks?

No comments: