Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Outpost Kaloki

Outpost Kaloki is one of those indie games I like. It's made by NinjaBee. It's a simple, fun little game improved dramatically by the tongue-in-cheek setting. The dialogue is pure dynamite. The plot is rock solid, too. At one point, you run for president so you can pardon yourself for irradiating an entire planet.

It's not a long game - it took me maybe four hours to beat. It's not a hard game - the only mission I had to retry was the final mission, and even then, only once. But it is a FUN game. I was happy to pay the $20, and I'm probably going to get at least another four hours out of it.

I would have been even happier if it let you design your own missions, your own progression, your own characters, and so on. In short, I would have been one of Ninjabee's staunchest supporters if they had released it as a tool instead of just a game. Because there's some fun little potential there. I would have enjoyed making my own plot progression, and it would have enhanced their sales power if they could say, "additional scenarios available for download!"

There's strength in having a community. That game could have had a community. Not a fabulously huge one, but one strong enough to drive their orders even higher.

Still, well worth the cash.

1 comment:

Darius Kazemi said...

I love that game.