Tuesday, November 04, 2008

The Mandatory Political Post

Every blog's gotta have one, I suppose.

Personally, I don't like politicians. Even Obama. BUT, there is a lot of good to come out of this election, the least of which is that he'll do much, much better than the alternative.

Still, to me, the biggest thing about this election is that Obama is not just black... he's a halfbreed. All the racists I've met think that's even worse.

It seems like a long, long time to the human eye, but when you think about it: only 44 presidents went by. At the beginning, black halfbreeds were treated so terribly that it boggles the mind. Slavery at best! Now, we've got one as our main leader.

That's hopeful, don't you think?

To me, racism is one of the strongest examples of human faults. It's been with us since the beginning of time, an instinct that other peoples - even just another tribe - are not people. Inferior, animals, etc.

That we've come so far towards negating that fault gives me a lot of hope for the future. We have a lot of other faults I'd like to see gone. If it only takes 200 years to fix a fundamental human fault... well, let's get to it!

1 comment:

Chill said...

I agree that xenophobia and racism spring from a the same or similar human fault, but the character of racism (as opposed to hating those not of your town/tribe/culture/nation/whatever) is significantly different enough that I would say that it's always been with us.