Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Banning Fringe

I will never watch Fringe. Not because it's bad, although it probably is. But because Fox is advertising it with "banner" ads that drop down and cover the whole page. You cannot see through them, you cannot click through them... you have to find the little close button at the top of the page to get rid of them.

Even if you were interested, it turns out that you have to wait a full five seconds before it retracts up into the banner, then another second before the ad actually allows you to click on it.

Oh, and at no point is it clear that the ad is for Fringe. It's not mentioned anywhere.

Which is probably a good thing, as it reduces the number of people who know who to be angry with.

This may not be the most inept ad of all time... but it's up there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eh. I keep Adblock on and don't hit the mainstream sites that much, so I haven't really noticed.

Craig Perko said...

Yeah... it's a good strategy. But I like some of those mainstream sites.

Edward said...

Could you direct me to the website where you saw the ad?

Craig Perko said...

It's one of about ten ads on http://quickkeen.keenspot.com/ , although I'm pretty sure I saw it somewhere else, too.