Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Hulu

If you're producing some little, direct-to-internet show, please do not release it on Hulu.

Nobody outside the US can see anything, and lots of us in the US aren't willing to watch their player because we have this little thing about using something that plays ads at us.

I understand that Hulu is a good alternative for major broadcasting corporations who are terrified of actually changing the way things work. It's a good balance between the third millennium and a terrified fear of losing your status as top dog.

But I notice some content (such as Phil Plait's stuff) is not produced by major studios. Why are they releasing on Hulu?

I can only presume they were suckered in by an aggressive marketing campaign... much to the detriment of everyone who isn't a US citizen.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on Hulu?

6 comments:

Eric Poulton said...

No kidding. I'd really like to watch Phil Plait's stuff up there, but I'm in Canada. This whole region-locking on the internet thing is getting more and more prevalent, and it sucks.

Olick said...

Whats the reason for region-locking on the internet anyways? Is it an extension of copyright law (like I figure it is with Wowio)?

Craig Perko said...

Remember, the whole idea of regional TV (and regional DVD locks) is to partition the planet up into easily managed chunks to maximize profit (both from sales and ads). I think this is just a contractual leftover from those standards.

Of course, I'm no expert.

Olick said...

Ah. I bet it does double-duty. Covering their asses while simultaneously ensuring razor sharp marketing and price setting. Sorta.

Patrick said...

A grey market makes more sense on the internet. However, I think "serving" ads isn't so bad, it's like TV. They've got to monetize somehow, right? Ads seem like a better deal than subscriptions or pay-per-play.

Craig Perko said...

I disagree. I would happily give Plait money for a DVD or some other, less-insulting medium. If you knew the creators would get the money directly, paying is an act of patronage. An act of true appreciation and respect rather than something that happens due to a greedy bunch of old guys sitting in a board room wondering what "these internet things" are good for.

Ads are a horror. Forced ads are the explosive diarrhea of a dying economic model.

That said, it is not dead yet, and no new economic models have proven their worth. However, I would rather back a questionable new model over this nasty, backwards, insulting old one.