Saturday, January 05, 2008

GameFly

I was going to write about fractured information in multiplayer settings, but instead I think I will share an email.

Recently, I got a GameFly account from a friend. I haven't received anything, yet, but this email... is an example of everything that is wrong with us.


From: GameFly
Date: Jan 5, 2008 11:34 AM
Subject: Attention: Important Xbox 360 Information
To: [me]

This e-mail was sent to you from GameFly.
To ensure delivery to your inbox, please add us to your address book.

Dear Craig,

Our records indicate that you recently rented your first Xbox 360 game from GameFly.

As you know, the Xbox 360 is a high-end gaming console that uses state-of-the-art technology. As stated in the user's manual, it is important that the console not be moved in any way while a disc is in the tray. The following movements, among others, may cause damage to the console and/or result in scratches to the disk:

Moving the console from the horizontal to the vertical position and vice versa
Picking the console up
Shifting the console in any way while a disc is in the tray

If you have further questions regarding usage of the Xbox 360 console, please contact Microsoft at 1-800-4MY-XBOX.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

GameFly Customer Service
Email: support@gamefly.com


Well, good. I was confused on that matter. Here I've been shaking my 360 to reboot it. Works with my laptop.

The worst part about this is that a lot of people won't see why it is such a fundamentally idiotic email. Our cultural idiocy is amazing.

2 comments:

JUSTIN said...

I don't think that e-mail is idiotic - unless you're referring to the manufacturing quality of the 360. Just last week, I slightly bumped my Xbox360 while trying to plug a Rock Band peripheral into the rear USB port, and it scratched and destroyed my Rock Band disc.

Pretty much every Desktop, Laptop, and Console I've owned has allowed me to lift or rotate it while a disc is spinning in the drive. That may sound like an unnecessary feature - right up until you need to plug or unplug anything from a port in the back of the machine.

Shaking your console and being surprised when it damages a disc is dumb, trying to plug an ethernet cable into the back and having it destroy a $60 game is outright unacceptable.

Jesper Bylund said...

I find this post a bit odd. People do move consoles about while they are on, remember all the stories about 360's eating discs?
I agree that it's really silly that we need to shake their delicate hardware but apparently we do, some people choose not to understand the *magic box*, this is silly, but only just as silly as not learning what the clutch actually does in a car. Do we learn these things to understand our mechanics better? Certainly not all of all.